Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Memorization Challenge

By Donna Winchell

A friend of mine recently challenged me to memorize Psalm 119. I hoped he was kidding since Psalm 119 is the longest Psalm in the Bible with 176 verses and also the longest chapter. I knew I probably couldn’t meet that specific challenge, but I love learning new things, so I spent some time reading about the particular psalm my friend chose.

It's a Hebrew acrostic which would take way too much time to explain here; but if you are interested in what this means and how it works, I encourage you to read this article in your spare time. You might find it even challenges you to discover more and different things about this psalm:

https://motu836346214.wordpress.com/2017/12/17/psalm-119-an-acrostic/ 

Psalm 119 is also crafted poetry. “It is a pattern, a thing done like embroidery, stitch by stitch, through long, quiet hours, for love of the subject and for the delight in leisurely, disciplined craftsmanship.” C.S. Lewis, ‘Sweeter Than Honey,’ Reflections on the Psalms (1958)

At my age, I doubt I have the mental acuity to memorize and retain all 176 verses of Psalm 119; but I do know that memorizing verses in the Bible is a fundamental way of filling my mind with what it needs. I also know that it is not enough to just memorize Scripture for the sake of memorizing Scripture. It is not enough to challenge myself to learn words; I must ask God to not only give me retention but to give me understanding as well. My prayer life and yours will certainly be strengthened with this practice.

Memorizing Scripture will help us help others. At the time you or someone you love may need comfort, God’s word spoken from your memory and heart has power. Proverbs 25:11 says, "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver."

It has been said that when the heart full of God’s love can draw on the mind full of God’s word, timely blessings flow from the mouth.

For me, one of the bible verses I memorized and have found myself praying over and over this year is Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

If you haven’t tried memorizing Bible verses, or if it has been way too long since you did; remember that by memorizing the Scripture we are able to have wisdom with us at all times  – make it a practice. Ready for your challenge? Want to start small?

I challenge you to begin with Psalm 117 consisting of only two verses – the shortest psalm and also the shortest chapter in the whole Bible:

“ 1Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. 2 For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment