Thursday, November 5, 2020

Giving Thanks, Part 1

 

By Cathy Ramsey


 

“In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 

(1 Thessalonians 5:18)

IN EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS? But what about difficult and painful situations? Being grateful for suffering seems to make no sense.

It’s easy to be grateful for the good things in life—a newborn baby, a beautiful sunrise, your family, or encouraging news from the doctor. But what if you lose your job, discover your child is ill, or you are in a car accident? How can God expect you to be grateful then?

Physical and emotional pain are present in my life as I realize they are present to a certain degree in everyone’s lives. Like most people, I’ve suffered loss of family, friends, and animals I’ve loved dearly. There are other things that happen often that make me sad such as difficulties in relationships, civil unrest, or the destructive fires in beautiful Colorado. It is so hard to see children or animals suffer. When these difficult things happen or I miss someone I’ve lost, it is difficult to be thankful for everything.

I know God said to be thankful for everything, but does it seem reasonable when I’m hurting? I just don’t always feel thankful and it is sometimes difficult to be thankful. But then I notice that Scripture doesn’t say, in everything give thanks when you feel like it.

This command has nothing to do with feelings or what we think is reasonable. It’s a choice to do what God says. Whenever He gives us a command in the Bible, it is for our benefit. By giving us the command to always give thanks, God is not rubbing salt in a wound or calling us to set aside reason. He knows that being thankful in all circumstances has a powerful impact on every area of our Christian life. (See Part 2 next week.)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment