Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lenten Devotional #5: Godliness


Psalm of my Cross
                  Fr. Ed Hays


With wisdom deeper than the oceans, you have fashioned with great love
                  a special cross for each of us.

May my Lenten gift this year be to more clearly see
                  my cross as a Jacob’s ladder, rising to you
                  out of my painful, troubled sea.

I place my hand with trust, into the hand of my Gethsemani Guide,
                  so that I might joyfully embrace everything that I would
                  gladly prefer to discard as disgrace
                  everything that makes up my cross,
                  my way to you, Beloved God.

Open my heart this day that I may see with eyes of truth
                  whether the painful cross I bear as mine,
                  claiming it as holy burden,
                  does indeed come from you, my God –
                  or if by chance my cross is one of my own creation.

Teach me this day not to carry my cross
                  but rather the Jacob’s ladder of your will.

Guide me as I seek with all my heart
                  to climb it daily as a sacred spiral staircase,
                  spiraling in sacrificial splendor,
                  winding ever wider, ever higher, opening me more and more
                  to Your wisdom and will, to becoming one in You.


Submitted by Pat Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment