Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Future Is Now


By Marilyn Travis


My mother passed away just shy of her 97th birthday. The last few years of her life she often spoke of Heaven. She could hardly wait to get there! She told me it was like anticipating the greatest adventure of a lifetime, a dream vacation that would never end, and it was all paid for! All she had to do was go, and Jesus would be waiting to welcome her into His arms. On difficult days, her thoughts of Heaven helped lift her spirits.

I have caught myself looking forward to better days lately. After all, in January we were watching Australia burn. In February we were told of murder hornets invading the US and a plague of locusts devouring Africa. March, April and May were filled with frightening news of the deaths caused by the Coronavirus and the impact the pandemic is still having on our daily lives. June has brought a crisis of a different kind; protesting and rioting and the struggle for equality and justice for black Americans, AND we still have the election looming! My thoughts often begin with “When this ____ passes, life will be better, or at least feel more normal.” However, my thinking is flawed. God has a better idea. It’s even better than my mother looking forward to Heaven. He tells us we can live a life of peace with Him right now, no matter what is going on around us. I’ve noticed the 23rd Psalm has been on my heart this week. I have a feeling the Spirit is trying to remind me of something!

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

There are things I want, but I will not be in want of anything I need.

He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul.

I feel the tension leave my body and the stressful thoughts leave my mind. The beauty of nature and the peace of the Lord fill my very soul.

He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

These paths offer me safety and well-being, security in His will, and bring glory to His name.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  

The Lord promises to guide, rescue and protect me. He comforts me. I can rest. He has taken the burden of stress and fear from me. Nothing happening in the world around me is too much for Him to handle.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

I am under the Lord’s protection. I know I am precious to Him. I can trust Him completely. I have nothing to fear. I am wholly cared for.

Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Today, this very moment and every moment thereafter, with every breath I take, I live in the goodness and love of the Lord. He is with me now and will stay with me forever. He will never leave me.

Barbara Johnson says, “We all go through pain and sorrow, but the presence of God, like a warm, comforting blanket, can shield us and protect us, and allow the deep inner joy to surface, even in the most devastating circumstances.”

Like Mom, I look forward to Heaven, but until I get there I can rest in the Spirit and live in the deep, fulfilling peace of Christ.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. – Romans 8:38-39

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment