Thursday, March 26, 2020

My Invisible Friend


From Pastor Bruce

Let me share some thoughts from award winning author and retreat speaker Joyce Rupp. This story of the spiritual stirrings of her early childhood reminds us that there is "Someone" who is always with us in spite of our temporary confinement and isolation.

"When I was a young child of eight years old, I lived on a beautiful farm in Iowa. Like my other siblings, I had chores to do after school. Mine consisted of feeding the chickens and gathering the eggs. I didn't like doing this because my free spirit wanted to be out in the grove playing or down by the creek watching tadpoles and catching minnows.

"But one day all of that changed for me. I learned that I had a secret companion who always kept me company, even when I was doing the daily farm chores. Hidden away deep within my heart was a loving being named God who would always love me and would never leave me. It was at this time that a wise teacher taught me about friendship with God. She assured me that l would never be alone because l was carrying the very life of God within me. I was enthused about this discovery. I could sense that "Someone" was there. I began carrying on endless conversations with this Friend. Walking home from school, doing my chores, playing in the grove — all of these activities became opportunities to be with my "special Someone." This was the beginning of my relationship with God.

"And as l grew older, I recognized this inner presence as a dynamic source of guidance and consolation. I became ever more deeply rooted in the belief that this indwelling God loves me totally and unconditionally. To this day I draw comfort and courage from the belief that l am a container holding the presence of God. This awesome and humbling gift of the Divine indwelling constantly enlivens my spiritual path and seeds my transformation."

No comments:

Post a Comment