Friday, March 27, 2020

Be Still


By Pat Russell

This has been our first week as an on-line community.  I encourage you to find some private moments today and take stock of several things. You might grab a piece of paper and write some of these thoughts down.

First of all, step back from yourself and make an overall inventory of your thoughts this week. To what has your mind turned during this time? If you are worried about things, write down what worries you. If you are afraid of the future, write down what makes you afraid. If you have found yourself thinking about the goodness in your life, write that down. If you have had so much to do and your thoughts have been centered on making things happen, write down how your mind functioned while being busy.

Now, let’s take stock of your feelings from this week. What stands out as your overall feelings? Loneliness, confusion, happiness, peace, anger, no feelings (those are feelings)….

What about your body? How has your physical body been acting this week? Are you sleeping, dreaming, having more aches and pains, sensing strength or weakness or someplace in between? Have you been eating more than usual or less or about the same?

Then, think about your spirit. This is perhaps the most difficult to “read.” Here are some questions that might help: How have you experienced the presence of God in your life this week? How have you heard His voice through prayer or Scripture or through the devotions that Pastor Bruce sent out - something comforting or instructive or encouraging. What has your communication with the Lord been like - what are you telling Him or hearing from Him? How have you experienced PAC = Peace, Accessibility, Confidence with the Lord (from last Sunday’s sermon)?

Stopping along the way to take stock helps us know to what we might need to pay more attention in our life these days.

The other day I was walking my two furry friends around the circle near our home. As we moved along, I found myself occupied by getting my heart rate up, stopping my dogs from visiting every road marker, thinking about what I was going to make for supper that night etc. And then I saw “it.” The sky was our beautiful Colorado blue and the Ponderosa pines stood like green sentinels along the roadside, the breeze was blowing, and it was wonderfully fresh. No virus surrounding me. It seemed that out of the pure air came the words, “Be still, and know that I am God.”

These words are from Psalm 46. Maybe you have memorized this psalm. It is a great one for these days. “Be still, and know that I am God! I am exalted among the nations; I am exalted in the earth.” How reassuring that is to me! He has got it; He has got me, the United States, Italy, the whole earth!

Notice where the comma is. Notice the present tense of the verbs. We will see Him in these days IF we will choose to be still. At times I need to still my busy thoughts, choose to let my feelings stand beside me, bring my body to full stop and wait on the Lord. “Be still, and know that I am God.” “Be still, and know.” “Be still.” “Be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment