Thursday, April 1, 2021

Seek the Son

 By Kathy Carlton Willis, submitted by Barb Batt

So that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us.

Acts 17:27 (NKJV)

I never knew dogs were natural heat seekers! At just fourteen weeks old, Mijo the Boston terrier taught me a valuable life lesson.

Mijo (MEE-hoe) learned what time of day the sun shone through our front door. Every day, like clockwork, he stopped whatever he was doing to get to his sunny spot. There he enjoyed leisurely naps wrapped in the warmth of the sunbeams.

One day, he spent the early hours playing outdoors. Suddenly, even though he was having a good time, he urgently wanted to go inside. Once I opened the door, he darted past me. Curious to see where he went, I followed him through the house. Wouldn't you know that Mijo had already found his place in the sun, and his snores sounded like a chainsaw!

By simply replacing the word sun with Son, I pondered several lessons. It is good to get in the habit of seeking the Son. The warmth of Jesus's embrace is all I need. I grow closer to Jesus when I seek the Son early and daily, like clockwork. I can develop the habit, just as Mijo did. It is second nature for him to look for the sun. Is it second nature for me to daily look for the Son?

Not only does the Son provide warm, welcoming intimacy; He also gives me rest when I come to Him. Mijo fell asleep right away when he hunkered down in the warmth of the sunbeams. I can find that same instant rest in Jesus. And not just physically, but emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, as well. When I rest in Jesus, I can put all other thoughts to rest. No more doing or striving, just being - all found in the Son.

 "There is greater rest and solace to be found in the presence of God for one hour, than in an eternity of the presence of man."

No comments:

Post a Comment