Tuesday, November 10, 2020

God and the Beauty of Nature

By Donna Winchell


A couple weeks ago, I came back into my house to warm up after shoveling what felt like 2 feet of snow, but in reality was probably only 8-9 inches. My nose and toes were numb and all I longed for was the heat of my home. “Nothing good about winter”, I had complained to myself while shoveling.

Then as I sipped a hot cup of coffee and looked out the window, I saw the beauty of that snow free from debris with the sun glistening on it; and watched the deer and bunnies scratching eagerly in search of food, knowing it was just below the surface. Contemplating nature that morning helped to change my attitude about winter, to help me bask in the warmth of the Holy Spirit.

A primary way God nourishes our souls with his loving presence is through the beauty of nature. Nature reflects the activity of God and does not operate independently – God is reflected in His creation.

Romans 1:20 (NIV) declares: ”For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.”

Job 12:7-10 (NIV) also tells us: “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.”

Nature is good….but why? I believe it is not only because God created it, but it is also for the purpose of why He created it for us. Nature provides everything that our bodies and our souls need to thrive. Tangible things like food and shelter; but also, intangible things like inspiration, beauty and a place for us to fellowship with God.

Colossians 1:16-17 (ESV): “For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.”

God’s creation points us to God, and nature brings us into a worshipful state by appreciating the splendor of that creation.

Psalm 19:1 (NIV) “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.”

This winter day was a welcoming reminder of God and the beauty of nature. Over the past 8 months isolated by COVID, I have often found myself enjoying nature and the chance to commune with God in the midst of all the chaos. By contemplating nature during these challenging times, I have been able to praise God all the more.

I love the hymn “How Great Thou Art” especially the second verse and the refrain:

When thru the woods and forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze ………..

Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee; how great Thou art, how great thou art! Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee; how great Thou art, how great thou art!”

Has it been some time since the songs of birds in the trees taught you to sing praise….or since a gentle breeze caressed your face to let you know God’s touch? Simply enjoying the diversity of God’s craftsmanship displayed in nature throughout all the seasons can be a powerful spiritual experience. Nature is wonderful. Don’t miss out on this simple pleasure – observe it, embrace it, take a walk and talk with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment